RSS Become a Fan

Recent Posts

Shabby chic style candlestick ideas, lace, keys etc
Shabby chic vintage fireplace (chimney free!)
Shabby chic christmas burlap stockings(hessian!)
FiFiChic In Period Homes and interiors!
Shabby chic tables with pews and benches

Categories

May 2012(6)
November 2013(1)
November(1)
Sept 2012 (1)
powered by

FiFiBlog

Annie sloan old ochre and duck egg chalkpaint.

Hi there!
Its friday and i`m looking forward to a fun and probably very `silly` bank holiday weekend with my 2 kids and trying to think of some fun things to do!(occassionally we like to have a `pretend` christmas in the middle of may!!! And my 3 year old and I like to sit and watch youtube videos pretending we are on rides at disney...or waterpark shoots etc...you get the picture!!!)
This week I have fallen in love with my Annie sloan chalk paint all over again! As you will know if you have been following me I have been trying out a new `autentico` chalkpaint and I had bought a fantastically shaped french style armoire/cabinet which I was determined to do justice to -as pieces like it just dont come up to renovate in my price range that often!!
I started off with the Autentico... and the colour just wasnt strong enough it was a bit watery looking and insipid and when I started to get bored of the drying time I just grabbed my `old ochre` and started to paint with it and the colour is just so luscious in comparison and it covers like a dream!!!! Then I had some duck egg I had watered down to a wash and mixed with lots of `old white` and started to apply it... and it just looks so great, dries so well and distresses like its been living in a french farmhouse for a few hundred years...i`m sorry but I just love Annie Sloan chalkpaint and theres nothing I can do about it!!!!
       I think it is perfect for mad, disorganised and passionate, messy painters `like me` as its just so darn fun to paint with and I just cant get the same creative buzz with anything else i`ve found!!! So I`m an Annie Sloan chalkpaint-aholic and I hope the first step is admitting it!!!
Anyway, have a fantastic weekend wherever you are and do feel free to tell me about your chalkpaint addictions...I hear talking about it helps!!..XFiFi

8 Comments to Annie sloan old ochre and duck egg chalkpaint.:

Comments RSS
Susan on 05 May 2012 21:02
I am just blown away by your talent - and patience!! I have just bought a 1950's cedar (dark red) french style dressing table and have been awake all night thinking of just what I can do with it! You have given me the inspiration to paint it. I don't think Annie Sloan paint is available here in Brisbane though - have you tried Porters Paints?? Thanks again. I just love your work!
Reply to comment

FiFiChic on 05 May 2012 21:34
Hi Susan,thanks so much for your lovely comments! You sound like me up all night thinking about what you can do with your furniture!!! I havnt tried porters but If its a chalkpaint i`m sure you can have loads of fun with it without the sanding first! If in doubt I often do a base in white just to confirm it looks too boring and then move on to colour!haha I will keep an eye on your facebook page for it to see what you decide to do!xFiFi

Donna ~ The Decorated House on 21 May 2012 01:16
You did such lovely work on this piece! Love the look of ASCP and the combination of duck egg & old ochre you chose.
Reply to comment

Sonya on 28 August 2012 01:55
I love the look of this piece. I just finished my second piece using ASCP - it's an antique dresser. My first piece was a table - so no drawers.... I'm wondering if you painted inside - like on the runners where the drawers rub to move. Because I opted to give my dresser a cursory, one coat since no one would see it, but I wanted to cover the ugly old wood. Well I also painted the outside of the drawers themselves....Bottom line, they just didn't slide well. I ended up putting a coat of clear satin poly urethane on the inside of the dresser - just on the runners, and on the sides of the drawers - to assist in their smooth movement. Maybe I should have waxed in there - don't know. Wax was so expensive, it seemed wasteful. The outside where everyone can see turned out just beautiful I used primer red, and then clear and dark wax.
Reply to comment

Fi on 10 September 2012 09:49
Waxing probably would have helped to make it run smoother,I have tried doing ascp without the wax but its not worth the shortcut as I find if you wax the paint it delivers everytime!Its such great wax, i have tried others and once I found Annies that was it!

Kay on 22 August 2013 01:16
Try rubbing your drawer runners with a bar of soap....cheap and very effective on those sticky drawers.

Vivian on 09 October 2012 21:40
I have researched ASCP for a couple of months and plan to do several pieces, soon. I wanted to ask how you think it would hold up on a tabletop (Kitchen table that we use daily)? We have no children at home but do have 5 kids and 3 grandkids that visit occasionally. Do you think the wax would hold up? Should I use a rub on Polyurethane on the top, instead? Also, I have read about making your own paint (using plaster paris). Have you or anyone you know tried this? I LOVE this piece and appreciate any advice you could give! Thanks in advance!
Reply to comment

Gemma on 29 September 2013 04:02
Shabby chic| Menudo cambio, y com has buscado el desgaste del paso del tiempo, es genial. Muy profesional. Me encanta!
Reply to comment